Dear Jon,
I don’t know if I can put into words exactly what Rent means to me. It seems to have stretched into every part of my life, each year it becomes a part of me in new ways. I paint my nails teal, the color I associate with Angel, every Halloween to honor him. I write “We begin” in my planner every year on December 24th and I believe in the possibility that hangs in the air on that night. Every time “Seasons of Love” fills me up, I look up for you at the line, “Though the story never ends.” That’s a belief, but also a promise. I could tell you so many more ‘little things,’ but I don’t want to keep you from working on your plays much longer. So I’ll tell you just these two:
A year and a half ago I came down with an auto-immune disease that attacked my body via my thyroid. Although nothing like what your characters experience, it was the sickest I have ever been. The doctors couldn’t do anything for me. I was doubled over in pain, sobbing, while my body attacked itself. Simply put, I was so sick that I was scared. One night I decided to put in the Broadway DVD of Rent. Your play gave me so much strength that night. Watching it was the first time I was able to truly focus on something in a week’s time, probably longer. I felt calm for the first time in days. It didn’t matter that I was constantly throwing up or that I was spitting into a cup because I’d lost the ability to swallow. Hours later that night my fever broke and my symptoms began to lessen. I know that Rent kept me from losing myself that night – it helped me find peace for a little while. You helped me hang on.
Two years ago I got a Rent tattoo, Mark’s line from “What You Own,” – ‘Angel’s voice is in my ear.’ I’ve always most identified with Mark. We’re both insecure and lonely. We would do anything for our friends. And we both see a true value in storytelling.
“The filmmaker cannot see / And the songwriter cannot hear
Yet I see Mimi everywhere / Angel’s voice is in my ear”
Angel is my favorite character and for me is the character who most embodies the meaning of Rent. But I also love what the larger quotation means as an artist – to look for creative inspiration even in unlikely places – to keep yourself open. Often in life we learn the most meaningful lessons from people who are very different than ourselves. I love how deeply and permanently Mark is affected by Angel – as a person and as an artist.
Your play’s message has given me so much courage and is in large part why I’ve been brave enough to live an authentic life. A greater gift than that I’ve never been given.
Thank you,
Pat
You can read my original Rambling about Rent here.
No comments:
Post a Comment