Friday, December 18, 2009

This Decade (The Best of)

THE L WORD
No TV show has ever made me feel the way The L Word has. Whether I was grinning all Monday from Sunday night’s show or screaming at my TV the moment the credits started to roll, I invested in The L Word. Sure, there were MAJOR fucking issues like Dana’s death in season three because Ilene Chaiken felt the need to teach her viewers a lesson by showing us that amazing people sometimes get cancer and die young. Or the way the series ended, with a fucked up unresolved murder mystery. Or its portrayal of the female to male transgender character. Or how about its bang-your-head-into-a-fucking-wall stereotypical portrayals of African American and Hispanic women. And yet….for everything that was done wrong...there was a lot that was done right. The season one finale set to Joseph Arthur’s “In the Sun” changed the way I look at television. I will never forget watching Leisha Hailey’s spectacular performance when her character finds out that the love of her life/her best friend has died. The guttural noises she makes as she collapses to the floor of the hospital wing…its one of the most realistic and heartbreaking performances I have ever seen. Not mention in general its groundbreaking portrayal of bisexual and lesbian women in a television landscape in which we are almost completely ignored. Plus, ya know, if you just wanted to sit around on a Sunday night and watch girls’ doin’ each other…well, it was great for that too.

No comments: