So, Amy got me “One Life, 6 Words, What’s Yours?” for my birthday. If you didn’t surmise the basic premise from the title, then let me briefly explain. A bunch of famous and semi-famous people were asked to write a six word memoir. Some editors compiled these memoirs into one book and made a mint.
So when I first received this little collection my initial reaction was: Why would Amy buy me this lame, pretentious, useless piece of garbage that only highly unoriginal people would ever care to take a gander at? But then I remembered: I didn’t order this on Amazon after getting really, really drunk. My best friend got it for me as a gift. And because of this I should crack open the cover and try to see whatever glimmer of any redeeming quality it might have.
And as the tale usually goes, I was glad that I did. I found some surprisingly original and funny statements. It even inspired me to write a few of my own. So what follows are my favorites. In my opinion there were a lot of duds in this collection. But considering I expected them all to be duds, I think this is a pretty long, genius list.
Curly haired sad kid chose fun.
Should have lived more, written less.
Afraid of everything. Did it anyway.
She kissed me and said yes!
Learned reading, writing, forgot arithmetic.
Glass half full; pockets half empty.
Aspiring lady pirate, disillusioned, sells boat.
In a Manolo word, I’m Keds.
Wandering imagination opens doors to paradise.
Mormon feminist loves husband, hates patriarchy.
It was worth it, I think.
Unhappy joke writer hugs her chihuahua.
Fifteen years since last professional haircut.
After you jump, the net appears.
Baptist Mom. Jewish Dad. Atheist. Surprised?
Cheated organizational systems but never people.
Mistook streetlight for the moon. Climbed.
Revenge is living well, without you.
Woman with man’s name – thanks, parents!
Born lucky, striving to die worthy.
Well, I thought it was funny.
Learned everything from words, pictures, love.
No comments:
Post a Comment