Monday, August 24, 2009

Something I thought about today:

Finding someone in a crowd sucks if you’re not the kind of person who is good at finding someone in a crowd. You could be looking for your best friend. She could be directly in front of you; she could be wearing purple pants. But the sensory overload from the hundreds of people who are alarmingly not her is so great that your brain goes into the state where it can only make broken, grammatically inept shells of simple sentences.


Friend?

No can find best friend.

Friend with the pants.

Purple ones.


You implore yourself to look harder but you know you won’t be able to find her. You get frustrated.


I have this best friend. We’ll call her Kate mostly because her name actually is Kate. I feel like Kate could find me in a crowd pretty easily. I could be lurking in a corner as I often do. I could be wearing atrociously boring, nondescript colors as I often do. There could be a man off to my left with his hair on fire. Kate would find me.


I don’t know if the ability to find someone in a crowd has anything to do with intelligence. I don’t know if it’s an ability that can be learned. But I do know that the lack of this ability creates a kind of separation anxiety.


Person B: I have to go to the bathroom.

Person A: I’LL GO WITH YOU.

Person B: Do you even have to go to the bathroom?

Person A: *looks away*

Person B: Stay. You’ll be fine.

Person A: But…

Person B: I’ll be right back.

Person A: (almost shouting) But you know I won’t be able to find you!

Person B: I’ll find you.


Now that is trust.

No comments: