Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Teeth 2/09/09

I am standing in a smoke-filled room eating a hot dog. In front of me is a large mirror – the kind you look into in public restrooms. I watch myself as I chew. I visually zoom in on my mouth. Suddenly I feel something wet at my lips – that isn’t right. I reach up with my free hand and touch my mouth. When I remove it and look down at it I see that it is covered in blood. I startle, and stumble backwards. I am further now from the mirror and the smoke is obscuring what I can see in its reflection. Another weird sensation – my mouth is bending like a warm strand of licorice. I watch silently as my teeth fall out one by one, plinking off the floor like cheap guitar picks.

I awake with a start. I immediately shove both my hands to my mouth. I wiggle my front teeth between my index fingers and thumbs. I bite down hard a few times making a chomping sound. I begin to calm down – my teeth are not actually falling out. Taking note of my surroundings for the first time I realize what has happened – I dozed off in the library on top of my pile of books. I also realize that a black girl is staring at me. She is seated directly in front of me twenty feet away, facing me. I shoot her a feeble smile. She does not return the gesture. Her expression seems to say crazy fucking white people. Indeed. I resolve to brush my teeth as soon as I get home.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

this makes me want to cry, for like fifty different reasons.

also, last night i had a dream more fucked up than what you are sending me, guaranteed.

Anonymous said...

I am sorry I made you want to cry. =(